Thursday 21 October 2010

Brian Morrison - Gun Clubs

Next I looked at the work of Brian Morrison, and his project named 'Gun Clubs'. To gain more inspiration I need to look at photographers who photograph people, and groups of people, who are similar, and research how they use their surroundings to represent more about the subject, and the particular group they belong to.

Morrisons work on the members of gun clubs stand out for me, as with my previous research the portraits are very straightforwardly shot and neutral.










Morrison's work is strong because he has captured the community of people that attend this Gun Club; I really like the idea of looking into the lives of people who have something in common. The portraits are again simple and straightforward, showing the subject fully. I especially like that although the project is about gun clubs, not one of the photographs shows somebody shooting their weapon - this way the audience looks more into the people and the characters captured, rather than focussing on the weapon aspect.

I really like these set of images, and take great inspiration from it. Although the weapons are used as props, rather than having the subjects fire them, I feel that the images are fairly 'obvious'. I would like my images to be a little more subtle, so the audience doesn't focus solely on the birthmarks, but more on the person as a whole. I feel Morrion's work achieves this to a certain extent, but by choosing to place his subjects in the obvious surroundings of the club, it loses it's subtle feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment