Sunday 17 October 2010

Artist Research - Louise Maher

To begin my artist research I have taken a look at the work of Louise Maher, and her photographs of Catholic priests. The series of images, named "Fathers" takes the viewer into the homes of the subject. Although the subjects are photographed for being priests, I like the way that Maher does not focus on just that, and it enables the viewer to see the subject in a different light.










I also really like the neutral style of these images, the straight forward composition represents the subject in a 'true' light, giving the piece a documentary style. I will apply this to my work, because I do not want the viewer to just focus on the fact that the subject has a birthmark, as the work is more about my own journey and what I discover about their experiences with a birthmark.

Next to the images, Maher includes the sitters' testimonies of how they came into the priesthood, which accompany the open narratives within the photographs. This is a great way that I could show a little bit of my subjects story, and ensure that my work is perceived as I intend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment